The Howard School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Enhanced DBS checks are carried out on all staff.
The school will ensure that all staff have updated knowledge about safeguarding so that we can:
- establish and maintain an environment where children feel secure, able to talk, and are listened to
- ensure students know there are adults in the school whom they can approach if they are worried
- include opportunities in the main curriculum as well as in PSHE/SMSC, Tutor Time, Assembly or Activity Week activities so that all pupils develop the skills to recognise and stay safe from abuse.
We follow the guidance issued by the Department for Education:
- The designated senior member of staff for child protection is Mrs F McLean, Trust Inclusion Lead(Secondary)/SenCo, who can be contacted either by telephone on: 01634 388765, or via email on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The nominated member of staff who is the Safeguarding/Child Protection Officer is Mrs F McLean, who can be contacted either by telephone on: 01634 388765, or via email on: email@example.com
You may also find helpful information on the following links and telephone numbers:
NSPCC or Child Protection Helpline via telephone on: 0808 800 5000
Childline or Freefone: 0800 1111
If you are concerned about the welfare of a child outside of school hours, weekends or school holidays, please contact Medway Children's Services on 01634 334466 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm). Outside of these hours, you can call 03000 419 191.
Our Safeguarding Policy can be accessed here: